Friday, November 18, 2011

Books & Books

When I get free time, I like to spend it reading a good edifying book. I have here a list of books that I’ve recently read, and a short description. My desire would be for everyone to read all of these books, as they all have given me a new perspective on an aspect of Christianity. I know that’s not a realistic desire, but if you could, pick one out and read it. You might have been wondering on what level does a crazy missionary read, well here you go!

 

The Cost of Discipleship by Dietrich Bonhoeffer. Called one of the “most excellent works of the 20th century,” Bonhoeffer really cuts to the quick. He was a martyr in WWII attempting to assassinate Hitler. The book can be summed up by saying, “When Christ calls a man, He bids them to come and die.” He really elevates the standard of being a Christian, and backed it up by giving his life for others. A great writer and a great example. Easily the most challenging read of this whole list (Bible omitted.)

 

The Pursuit of God by A.W. Tozer. I can say I wanted to highlight 75% of this book. What does it mean to be a “follower of Christ”? Tozer beautifully describes that and how it is to be done. How does one get God? How does one’s life look in doing that? We all thirst for something supernatural, but grasping that concept is something on a whole new level. Tozer hits the nail on the head and it doesn’t make you feel good with the realities he brings up. For you Kindle owners out there, it’s available here on Amazon for $1.

 

Crazy Love by Francis Chan. Definitely more milk than meat, this in my opinion is a book for people still grasping Christianity. I put it on here because there are 2 chapters in particular that give examples of the “lukewarm Christian,” and the “sold-out Christian” which we all can benefit from. If you’re looking for the same deep challenging material found in the majority of these other books, you may be left wanting more.

 

 

Knowledge of the Holy by A.W. Tozer. Other than the Bible, this is the only book that has changed my life. It did that by changing my perspective of God. It made me think of how small I thought of God before and how dangerous it is to put Him in a box. It’s hard to get used to Tozer’s writing style in this one, but once you get it, it’s definitely one you’re going to want to read more than once.

 

 

 

Radical by David Platt. This book surprised me because it was so different, but so new. It really hits on the process in the American church and how and why it needs to change its dead self. I think every pastor should read this book, but not only read it but do what it says. I know too many churches in the US that are explained in this book, but I would like to see them ready and radical to take it old school to the church in Acts.

 

 

 

The Bible by more the 40 authors. Obviously I’m reading the Bible. I am currently in a chronological inductive study of the Old Testament. In other words, I’m studying every little detail of the events as they happened in history (the Bible is not placed in timely order.) It’s a great method, but definitely a challenge. I wanted to know all the history in order to understand as much as possible.

As far as a certain version, I recommend the ESV, NIV, or NKJV. My dream Bible would be a NKJV Wide Margin but I don’t have access to that here, so right now I’m using an NIV Study Bible (with built in commentary.)

That’s all. But one more thing: I would love love love recommendations from you guys for what to read in the future! Until the next time, let this oldie but goodie keep you busy!

No comments:

Post a Comment